64 Year Old Brian’s EpicWalk
By Amanda | 06-04-2016
Walker, cyclist and best selling author Brian Smailes from Barnsley has embarked on a charity walk from Lands End to John O’Groats to help raise money for Cancer Research U
And He’s Off! Brian’s on track to beat records
Walker, cyclist and best selling author Brian Smailes from Barnsley has embarked on a charity walk from Lands End to John O’Groats to help raise money for Cancer Research UK and aims to do it in record time for a man of his age. He also aims to beat Eddy Izzard’s latest record, walking 34 miles for 27 consecutive days.
Brian, aged 64, is a qualified walking instructor and walk guide who has been walking for over thirty years. He has written 22 walking and cycling books, mainly for the UK, including top selling books “John O’Groats to Lands End” “The Lyke Wake Walk” and “National 3 Peaks Walk.”
Each year, Brian attempts a worldwide challenge. He has walked the Inca Trail twice, Patagonia in Chile, Angel Falls and Great Wall of China twice. On a more local basis he already holds the record for the fastest 5 continuous crossings of the Lyke Wake Walk over the North Yorkshire Moors which he has completed 57 times.
“ I have already cycled from Lands End to John O’Groats. I had a wonderful response from the general public along the way, especially in the villages I passed through. This time I am hoping to rasie cash along the way and break some records; unlike Eddy Izzard I won’t have a team of doctors and support services to help me along the way – it’s just me my rucksack and a driver with the van, but I hope to match his miles.”
Sponsorship for Brian’s latest challenge is being provided by Arrow Self Drive on Barnsley in the form of a van for the month of the challenge and shirts for Brian and his team to wear throughout the walk.
If you would like to support Brian by donating to Cancer Research he has set up a Just Giving Page at www.justgiving.com/briansmaileslandsendwalk. If you would like to follow hi progress over the next month you can follow him on Facebook at Brian Smailes.
If you've enjoyed this article please help us share it with the rest of the world - Thank you
- Our First Business Award
- Win a VIP Family Day out to Lightwater Valley
- New Manager for Leeds Depot
- New Opening Times
- Special Deals throughout Summer
- New Curtain Side Luton Vehicles On Fleet this week
- We Launch our New Company Film
- ISO 9001:2015 The Revised Quality Management Systems Standard
- Change in Car Tax is imminent
- Helping Harrogate Bloom
- Mowbray School Outing
- Winner of the VIP Family Day to Lightwater Valley
- Eclipse Energy Efficiency
- Brian walks the length of the country in record time
- 64 Year Old Brian’s EpicWalk
- Proud Sponsors of the Huddersfield Giant
- Bus Gates now operating in Huddersfield
- Arrow Talks to Students at School Careers Fair
- Huddersfield Giants Kit Promotional Video
- Try one of our NEW Petrol Hybrids
- Dealing with Road Rage
- White Rose Awards
- Testing Your Eyes Can Save Your Life
- Driving in Fog
- Driver Fatigue: The Facts
- Harriers Play Host
- Flat Cap Friday Success
- Tax Discs to be Phased Out
- Sheffield Branch Opening Soon
- Aquaforce Charity Football Match
- Winner of the Yorkshire Show Business Card Draw
- New Custom Made Recovery Trucks
- Hull Depot wins Best Vehicle Hire 2017
- Examiner Business Awards 2017
- Saint Michael's Hospice Thanks Knaresborough
- Welcome to our first ever female mechanic
- 1988 - 2018
- Increase in Congestion Charge PCN
- What Brexit Could Mean for Fleet Managers
- Meet our MD James Hill
- What can we expect from electric vehicles in the future?
- Celebrating our Women
- Winners of the Family Business of the Year for the Yorkshire and Humber at the FSB Awards 2018
- A Paperless Future
- The rise of the new van owner
- The New Diesel Tax Changes Explained
- #SuperEorl Competition: Which Cartoon Character or Super Hero does Big Eorl most resemble and why?
- Drivers' worst habits according to van owners
- Family Ties Traced to 1938 between Arrow Self Drive and Crowther & Shaw
- Support for Leeds Beckett Charity Ride
- What is AdBlue?
- Business Of the Year
- The Great Yorkshire Show Birthday Celebrations
- Shortlisted for the Great British Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- Wakefield Depot raise funds for Wakefield Hospice
- Arrow Self Drive Becomes 100% Family owned
- A Visit to Sheffield Children's Hospital
- My Passion: By our MD James Hill
- At Your Service!
- Arrow Self Drive Continual Training & Staff Development
- The New London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ): 2 months to go
- Leeds Clean Air Zone: 11 months to go
- AdBlue: A guide for fleet managers
- Competition winners enjoy Day as A Super League player with the Giants
- CSR and Sales
- Our New Paperless Rental System: Saving one Tree at a Time
- Reducing our Carbon Footprint
- How Well Does Your Fleet reflect Your Brand?
- Eaton Smith: Business of the year: Looking Back
- Moving to Uni? How safe is your precious cargo?
- PROMOTING PENSIONERS AT WORK
- Dragon Boat Teams Raise £3k for Childrens Hospice