CSR and Sales
By Amanda | 05-03-2019
How modern businesses need to be seen as proactively contributing to the community, the country and the planet
The customers buying process has changed over the past twenty years. Considerations such as price, quality, level of service, packaging and branding all still apply, but the ethical and altruistic nature of a business is now more important than ever to secure sales.
In the past influencing factors such as corporate hospitality (alcohol fuelled long lunches and trips to the races or golf days) and branded gifts were handed out by the truckload in a bid to sway business decisions and keep customers onside.
But times have changed.
The ethical expectations on companies from its various stakeholders have become more complex and demanding.
Critically, millennium consumers, both in the general public and in business, have become more altruistic. Now customers demand that a business delivers exceptional products and services, but also that it contributes to the community, is seen as transparent, takes care of their workforce and illustrates an active role in addressing universal issues. Businesses have to show how responsible they are and how much of a positive impact they have on the environment and the planet if they want to even be in the race.
Companies are therefore engaging in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in response to the way in which customers make purchasing decisions and not just as a strategic nod to the corporate conscience. The modern businessrecognises that CSR helps them to identify their brand purpose and create a personality that their customers can connect with on a deeper level. But their CSR strategy must be authentic, aligned with their company values or purpose and integrated into their business model.
According to one study by the “Reputation Institute”, 42% of how a person feels about a company is based on their knowledge of that firm’s CSR definition. Research shows that more customers base their decisions on corporate social responsibility than ever before. Customers will switch to buying from a brand that supports a good cause and on the flip side; will boycott a brand that displays irresponsible or unethical practices.
Developments in information technology and communication and platforms such as those on social media has made information globally accessible and publicly displayed which emphasises transparency in all business operations. If two brands are offering similar products and qualities, it then becomes a question of how one differentiates from the other and how one is perceived as better than the other.
Aligning your brand to sustainability, community support, environmental awareness and other positive messages will result in greater loyalty amongst your potential and existing customers. Shouting about your CSR activity will give you the edge when pitched against competitors who are not seen to have a corporate conscience.
CSR initiatives may include;
Environmental campaigns: These are the policies and processes that you take as a business to reduce your carbon footprint, limiting your negative impact on the world.
Employee welfare: All businesses are expected to treat their employees ethically and fairly. The more you show you care about your workers, the more your community and potential customers will respect you.
Philanthropic activity: Donating to local charities and supporting local community initiatives is a way to show your customers that you care about what matters to them.
If you've enjoyed this article please help us share it with the rest of the world - Thank you
- Our First Business Award
- Win a VIP Family Day out to Lightwater Valley
- New Manager for Leeds Depot
- New Opening Times
- Special Deals throughout Summer
- New Curtain Side Luton Vehicles On Fleet this week
- We Launch our New Company Film
- ISO 9001:2015 The Revised Quality Management Systems Standard
- Change in Car Tax is imminent
- Helping Harrogate Bloom
- Mowbray School Outing
- Winner of the VIP Family Day to Lightwater Valley
- Eclipse Energy Efficiency
- Brian walks the length of the country in record time
- 64 Year Old Brian’s EpicWalk
- Proud Sponsors of the Huddersfield Giant
- Bus Gates now operating in Huddersfield
- Arrow Talks to Students at School Careers Fair
- Huddersfield Giants Kit Promotional Video
- Try one of our NEW Petrol Hybrids
- Dealing with Road Rage
- White Rose Awards
- Testing Your Eyes Can Save Your Life
- Driving in Fog
- Driver Fatigue: The Facts
- Harriers Play Host
- Flat Cap Friday Success
- Tax Discs to be Phased Out
- Sheffield Branch Opening Soon
- Aquaforce Charity Football Match
- Winner of the Yorkshire Show Business Card Draw
- New Custom Made Recovery Trucks
- Hull Depot wins Best Vehicle Hire 2017
- Examiner Business Awards 2017
- Saint Michael's Hospice Thanks Knaresborough
- Welcome to our first ever female mechanic
- 1988 - 2018
- Increase in Congestion Charge PCN
- What Brexit Could Mean for Fleet Managers
- Meet our MD James Hill
- What can we expect from electric vehicles in the future?
- Celebrating our Women
- Winners of the Family Business of the Year for the Yorkshire and Humber at the FSB Awards 2018
- A Paperless Future
- The rise of the new van owner
- The New Diesel Tax Changes Explained
- #SuperEorl Competition: Which Cartoon Character or Super Hero does Big Eorl most resemble and why?
- Drivers' worst habits according to van owners
- Family Ties Traced to 1938 between Arrow Self Drive and Crowther & Shaw
- Support for Leeds Beckett Charity Ride
- What is AdBlue?
- Business Of the Year
- The Great Yorkshire Show Birthday Celebrations
- Shortlisted for the Great British Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- Wakefield Depot raise funds for Wakefield Hospice
- Arrow Self Drive Becomes 100% Family owned
- A Visit to Sheffield Children's Hospital
- My Passion: By our MD James Hill
- At Your Service!
- Arrow Self Drive Continual Training & Staff Development
- The New London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ): 2 months to go
- Leeds Clean Air Zone: 11 months to go
- AdBlue: A guide for fleet managers
- Competition winners enjoy Day as A Super League player with the Giants
- CSR and Sales
- Our New Paperless Rental System: Saving one Tree at a Time
- Reducing our Carbon Footprint
- How Well Does Your Fleet reflect Your Brand?
- Eaton Smith: Business of the year: Looking Back
- Moving to Uni? How safe is your precious cargo?
- PROMOTING PENSIONERS AT WORK