Eaton Smith: Business of the year: Looking Back
By Amanda | 26-06-2019
We look back at the year we have had following our Business of the Year Award
Last year Arrow Self Drive was lucky enough to win the Eaton Smith Business of The Year Award for 2017/2018.
12 months on and as we look forward to handing over the title to a new local business, we reflect on our year and how winning the award has impacted on our business.
2018 was a very exciting year for us; we celebrated our 30thanniversary, we introduced our new paperless system and after much negotiation we finally became a true family owned and family run business following a buyout of one of our founding directors. Winning Business of the Year was the icing on the cake.
We were honoured to receive the Award, especially since The Eaton Smith Business Awards are so well established and held in such high regard across Kirklees, Calderdale and Wakefield. We have always been proud to be a local Yorkshire business. Our local community is very important to us and to receive this award meant a lot to us at such a critical point in our development.
Arrow Self Drive began in 1988 with a small start up from a shed on Manchester Road. Founders Robert Hill and Chris Taylor named the company Arrow Self Drive because it began with an ‘A’ and would therefore appear first in the Yellow Pages directory; a simple marketing strategy that paid dividends in those first few years.
In 2009 James Hill took over as Managing Director of the Company and has since worked to build on his fathers legacy; streamlining internal processes, investing in staff training and attaining ISO status. Arrow Self Drive has always aimed to deliver great personal service at a fair price.
We now have over 80 employees and 2000 vehicles on our fleet, we have eight depots across Yorkshire and our operations have improved significantly. The Yellow pages no longer exists but we are still the number one people to call for vehicle hire mainly because of our Yorkshire values; straight talking, transparent and fair.
Thanks to the award from Eaton Smith we have experienced some great positive exposure at local level. Initially we had some fantastic news coverage in the local press as well as multiple mentions on social media. As we continued through the year and attended local exhibitions and networking events we were approached by many business people who came up to congratulate us on receiving the award. Our reputation for excellent customer service was enhanced and hard work rewarded.
Companies should never underestimate the power of winning such an accolade; if organised and judged correctly, as this one is, your company’s profile will be very much enhanced and elevated amongst the business community.
We would like to wish all twelve nominees the best of luck for this year’s award. Monthly winners should all be proud and shout loudly about the achievement, because it really is something to celebrate.
We would like to thank Eaton Smith once again for acknowledging Arrow Self Drive with the Business of the Year Award and for helping us further long our incredible journey; reminding us to never forget where we came from
If you've enjoyed this article please help us share it with the rest of the world - Thank you
- Our First Business Award
- Win a VIP Family Day out to Lightwater Valley
- New Manager for Leeds Depot
- New Opening Times
- Special Deals throughout Summer
- New Curtain Side Luton Vehicles On Fleet this week
- We Launch our New Company Film
- ISO 9001:2015 The Revised Quality Management Systems Standard
- Change in Car Tax is imminent
- Helping Harrogate Bloom
- Mowbray School Outing
- Winner of the VIP Family Day to Lightwater Valley
- Eclipse Energy Efficiency
- Brian walks the length of the country in record time
- 64 Year Old Brian’s EpicWalk
- Proud Sponsors of the Huddersfield Giant
- Bus Gates now operating in Huddersfield
- Arrow Talks to Students at School Careers Fair
- Huddersfield Giants Kit Promotional Video
- Try one of our NEW Petrol Hybrids
- Dealing with Road Rage
- White Rose Awards
- Testing Your Eyes Can Save Your Life
- Driving in Fog
- Driver Fatigue: The Facts
- Harriers Play Host
- Flat Cap Friday Success
- Tax Discs to be Phased Out
- Sheffield Branch Opening Soon
- Aquaforce Charity Football Match
- Winner of the Yorkshire Show Business Card Draw
- New Custom Made Recovery Trucks
- Hull Depot wins Best Vehicle Hire 2017
- Examiner Business Awards 2017
- Saint Michael's Hospice Thanks Knaresborough
- Welcome to our first ever female mechanic
- 1988 - 2018
- Increase in Congestion Charge PCN
- What Brexit Could Mean for Fleet Managers
- Meet our MD James Hill
- What can we expect from electric vehicles in the future?
- Celebrating our Women
- Winners of the Family Business of the Year for the Yorkshire and Humber at the FSB Awards 2018
- A Paperless Future
- The rise of the new van owner
- The New Diesel Tax Changes Explained
- #SuperEorl Competition: Which Cartoon Character or Super Hero does Big Eorl most resemble and why?
- Drivers' worst habits according to van owners
- Family Ties Traced to 1938 between Arrow Self Drive and Crowther & Shaw
- Support for Leeds Beckett Charity Ride
- What is AdBlue?
- Business Of the Year
- The Great Yorkshire Show Birthday Celebrations
- Shortlisted for the Great British Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- Wakefield Depot raise funds for Wakefield Hospice
- Arrow Self Drive Becomes 100% Family owned
- A Visit to Sheffield Children's Hospital
- My Passion: By our MD James Hill
- At Your Service!
- Arrow Self Drive Continual Training & Staff Development
- The New London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ): 2 months to go
- Leeds Clean Air Zone: 11 months to go
- AdBlue: A guide for fleet managers
- Competition winners enjoy Day as A Super League player with the Giants
- CSR and Sales
- Our New Paperless Rental System: Saving one Tree at a Time
- Reducing our Carbon Footprint
- How Well Does Your Fleet reflect Your Brand?
- Eaton Smith: Business of the year: Looking Back
- Moving to Uni? How safe is your precious cargo?
- PROMOTING PENSIONERS AT WORK
- Dragon Boat Teams Raise £3k for Childrens Hospice
- An Elf of a Surprise for 8-year old Lola
- Drug Driving and the Threat to your Business
- Keeping you on the road 24/7: Breakdown and Recovery
- Start as you mean to go on! Awards shortlist news heralds a New year
- Keeping you on the road 24/7: Mobile service units at your convenience