Family Ties Traced to 1938 between Arrow Self Drive and Crowther & Shaw
By Amanda | 25-05-2018
Two long-standing Huddersfield-based businesses have discovered a document that shows they have been doing business with each other since 1938.
An 80-year-old invoice discovered by Crowther & Shaw’s managing director, Mark Gledhill, shows that the grandfather of Arrow Self Drive’s managing director James Hill, was doing business with Crowther & Shaw in 1938, 50 years before Arrow Self Drive was formed in 1988
The invoice found by Mr Gledhill shows that Arnold Worsley purchased a refrigeration unit from Crowther & Shaw for the local Worsley butcher’s business at a rate of £4 a week in 1938. Crowther & Shaw continued to work with the Worsley family into the early 2000’s who by this time were running a chain of deli shops locally.
In 1990, under the leadership of James’ father and co-founder, Robert Hill, Arrow Self Drive started doing business with Crowther & Shaw providing commercial vehicles for the company. The relationship began based on Crowther & Shaw’s commitment to sourcing local suppliers who share their values which resulted in a fair and straightforward business relationship.
Today, family-run Arrow Self Drive supplies Crowther & Shaw with all its commercial vehicles, providing a fleet of 25 vans. Arrow Self Drive is also responsible for the maintenance, repairs, van replacements for Crowther & Shaw and ensures that all the businesses commercial vehicles meet industry specifications. Crowther & Shaw are one of Arrow Self Drive’s longest serving customers with the partnership entering its 28th year as Arrow celebrates its 30th year since forming.
Arrow Self Drive was founded in 1988 by local businessmen Robert Hill and Chris Taylor.
Over the past thirty years, Arrow Self Drive has grown to become Yorkshire’s largest independent vehicle hire firm, with a fleet of more than 2,000 rental vehicles and more than 80 staff across the region.
James Hill, managing director of Arrow Self Drive commented:
“Back in 1938 I don’t think my grandfather would’ve believed if it you’d told him that his grandson would be celebrating a 28-year partnership with Crowther and Shaw, 80 years on from him buying the refrigeration unit. I think what this demonstrates is two very similar set of values and approaches to business – common sense, a fair deal and trust built on excellent service.
“Crowther & Shaw was one of my father’s first customers when he started the business. As we enter our 30th birthday year and almost 30 years of doing business with Crowther & Shaw, I’m proud of our partnership with one of Huddersfield’s leading companies – long may it continue”.
Crowther & Shaw has been established for more than 90 years. The company employ some of the best trained and professionally qualified engineers, many of whom have won national industry awards. Working to the most stringent of industry Health and Safety standards the company is committed to a first-class service supplying top quality equipment.
Mark Gledhill, managing director of Crowther & Shaw added:
“It was remarkable to discover that Crowther & Shaw have been doing business with James and his family in one way or another for 80 years now.
“Both companies believe in doing business the Yorkshire way. That is straightforward, no nonsense and forming a relationship that’s built on trust and good service. We’re one of the north’s leading contractors so it is vital that our suppliers reflect this reputation and I’m proud of our partnership with James and the Arrow Self Drive team.”
If you've enjoyed this article please help us share it with the rest of the world - Thank you
- Our First Business Award
- Win a VIP Family Day out to Lightwater Valley
- New Manager for Leeds Depot
- New Opening Times
- Special Deals throughout Summer
- New Curtain Side Luton Vehicles On Fleet this week
- We Launch our New Company Film
- ISO 9001:2015 The Revised Quality Management Systems Standard
- Change in Car Tax is imminent
- Helping Harrogate Bloom
- Mowbray School Outing
- Winner of the VIP Family Day to Lightwater Valley
- Eclipse Energy Efficiency
- Brian walks the length of the country in record time
- 64 Year Old Brian’s EpicWalk
- Proud Sponsors of the Huddersfield Giant
- Bus Gates now operating in Huddersfield
- Arrow Talks to Students at School Careers Fair
- Huddersfield Giants Kit Promotional Video
- Try one of our NEW Petrol Hybrids
- Dealing with Road Rage
- White Rose Awards
- Testing Your Eyes Can Save Your Life
- Driving in Fog
- Driver Fatigue: The Facts
- Harriers Play Host
- Flat Cap Friday Success
- Tax Discs to be Phased Out
- Sheffield Branch Opening Soon
- Aquaforce Charity Football Match
- Winner of the Yorkshire Show Business Card Draw
- New Custom Made Recovery Trucks
- Hull Depot wins Best Vehicle Hire 2017
- Examiner Business Awards 2017
- Saint Michael's Hospice Thanks Knaresborough
- Welcome to our first ever female mechanic
- 1988 - 2018
- Increase in Congestion Charge PCN
- What Brexit Could Mean for Fleet Managers
- Meet our MD James Hill
- What can we expect from electric vehicles in the future?
- Celebrating our Women
- Winners of the Family Business of the Year for the Yorkshire and Humber at the FSB Awards 2018
- A Paperless Future
- The rise of the new van owner
- The New Diesel Tax Changes Explained
- #SuperEorl Competition: Which Cartoon Character or Super Hero does Big Eorl most resemble and why?
- Drivers' worst habits according to van owners
- Family Ties Traced to 1938 between Arrow Self Drive and Crowther & Shaw
- Support for Leeds Beckett Charity Ride
- What is AdBlue?
- Business Of the Year
- The Great Yorkshire Show Birthday Celebrations
- Shortlisted for the Great British Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- Wakefield Depot raise funds for Wakefield Hospice
- Arrow Self Drive Becomes 100% Family owned
- A Visit to Sheffield Children's Hospital
- My Passion: By our MD James Hill
- At Your Service!
- Arrow Self Drive Continual Training & Staff Development
- The New London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ): 2 months to go
- Leeds Clean Air Zone: 11 months to go
- AdBlue: A guide for fleet managers
- Competition winners enjoy Day as A Super League player with the Giants
- CSR and Sales
- Our New Paperless Rental System: Saving one Tree at a Time
- Reducing our Carbon Footprint
- How Well Does Your Fleet reflect Your Brand?
- Eaton Smith: Business of the year: Looking Back
- Moving to Uni? How safe is your precious cargo?
- PROMOTING PENSIONERS AT WORK
- Dragon Boat Teams Raise £3k for Childrens Hospice
- An Elf of a Surprise for 8-year old Lola
- Drug Driving and the Threat to your Business
- Keeping you on the road 24/7: Breakdown and Recovery
- Start as you mean to go on! Awards shortlist news heralds a New year
- Keeping you on the road 24/7: Mobile service units at your convenience
- Tyler Scoops Top Apprentice Award at Kirklees College
- Sheffield New Site Move
- Theft of Catalytic Converters on the Increase
- COVID-19 Internal procedures to help keep us all safe
- COVID-19: Update on our status
- Barnsley Depot Update
- Bradford Depot Update
- Hull Depot Update
- Knaresborough Depot Update