My Passion by James Hill
By Amanda | 21-12-2018
Our MD talks about his passion for vehicles
As a small child I would stand by the window at home shouting out the brands of all the cars and trucks as they drove by. Inspired by my dad and having grown up surrounded by vehicles, my passion is driving, be it cars, trucks, anything I can get behind the wheel of.
I know that most people might aim to separate their home and work lives, as it may seem like a bus man’s holiday, but to me, my passion being so closely related to my business means that I am truly passionate about my work and the motor industry as a whole.
As the years have progressed, my knowledge has continued to increase and my passion for all four wheeled things has continued to grow with it.
There’s really nothing that fires me up more than taking one of our new vehicles out on the open road. I get a sense of excitement and freedom. As a managing director I have to make many strategic decisions daily and a long drive is often where I can concentrate the most and find the space to really think things through that may have been on my mind for days.
I remember as a young boy being fascinated watching my dad driving, trying to get my head around how it all worked, I couldn’t wait to finally be old enough to take my test and take one of the cars out for a spin.
My first car was actually a van, a Vauxhall Nova to be precise.
My dad and I still share a special bond over driving and try to spend as much time as possible surrounding ourselves with vehicles. We go to the auctions together every week for the business and to keep an eye on the market. We also try to head to Le Mans Classic every two years as we’re both huge fans of classic cars. We’re such a pair of petrol heads! We also really enjoy collecting and restoring classic cars together. My favourite car that we’ve restored so far has to be the most recent, my MGB GT Sebring Replica, and I am looking forward to completing track laps at the next Le Mans with it.
Many vehicle manufacturers launch their latest models at events all across Europe, I’m fortunate enough to be able to attend such events regularly, test driving the new vehicles in various cities, including Barcelona, Mallorca and Millbrook Proving Ground, one of the largest vehicle testing centres in Europe.
I’m very lucky to work in an industry which I’m so passionate about, I’m always keen to continue learning and having such a vast interest in the subject really keeps me ahead of the game for upcoming developments for the business.
If you've enjoyed this article please help us share it with the rest of the world - Thank you
- Our First Business Award
- Win a VIP Family Day out to Lightwater Valley
- New Manager for Leeds Depot
- New Opening Times
- Special Deals throughout Summer
- New Curtain Side Luton Vehicles On Fleet this week
- We Launch our New Company Film
- ISO 9001:2015 The Revised Quality Management Systems Standard
- Change in Car Tax is imminent
- Helping Harrogate Bloom
- Mowbray School Outing
- Winner of the VIP Family Day to Lightwater Valley
- Eclipse Energy Efficiency
- Brian walks the length of the country in record time
- 64 Year Old Brian’s EpicWalk
- Proud Sponsors of the Huddersfield Giant
- Bus Gates now operating in Huddersfield
- Arrow Talks to Students at School Careers Fair
- Huddersfield Giants Kit Promotional Video
- Try one of our NEW Petrol Hybrids
- Dealing with Road Rage
- White Rose Awards
- Testing Your Eyes Can Save Your Life
- Driving in Fog
- Driver Fatigue: The Facts
- Harriers Play Host
- Flat Cap Friday Success
- Tax Discs to be Phased Out
- Sheffield Branch Opening Soon
- Aquaforce Charity Football Match
- Winner of the Yorkshire Show Business Card Draw
- New Custom Made Recovery Trucks
- Hull Depot wins Best Vehicle Hire 2017
- Examiner Business Awards 2017
- Saint Michael's Hospice Thanks Knaresborough
- Welcome to our first ever female mechanic
- 1988 - 2018
- Increase in Congestion Charge PCN
- What Brexit Could Mean for Fleet Managers
- Meet our MD James Hill
- What can we expect from electric vehicles in the future?
- Celebrating our Women
- Winners of the Family Business of the Year for the Yorkshire and Humber at the FSB Awards 2018
- A Paperless Future
- The rise of the new van owner
- The New Diesel Tax Changes Explained
- #SuperEorl Competition: Which Cartoon Character or Super Hero does Big Eorl most resemble and why?
- Drivers' worst habits according to van owners
- Family Ties Traced to 1938 between Arrow Self Drive and Crowther & Shaw
- Support for Leeds Beckett Charity Ride
- What is AdBlue?
- Business Of the Year
- The Great Yorkshire Show Birthday Celebrations
- Shortlisted for the Great British Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- Wakefield Depot raise funds for Wakefield Hospice
- Arrow Self Drive Becomes 100% Family owned
- A Visit to Sheffield Children's Hospital
- Arrow Supports Christmas Charit-trees
- My Passion: By our MD James Hill
- At Your Service!
- My Passion by James Hill
- Arrow Self Drive Continual Training & Staff Development
- The New London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ): 2 months to go
- Leeds Clean Air Zone: 11 months to go
- AdBlue: A guide for fleet managers
- Competition winners enjoy Day as A Super League player with the Giants
- CSR and Sales
- Our New Paperless Rental System: Saving one Tree at a Time
- Reducing our Carbon Footprint