The rise of the new van owner
By Amanda | 08-03-2018
In today's society, the white van man stereotype has become almost extinct, and in its place we have seen the rise of the new van owner.
The new van owner takes on a very different persona to the "white van man", which was a term originally coined in 1997 by The Sunday Times. In an article, a journalist personified light commercial van drivers as "selfish, inconsiderate and aggressive", but that's simply not the case in 2018.
The van driver from today's era is very different to twenty years ago, for a start, there are far more women van drivers on the roads than in previous years. With a rise in the manufacturer of the car-van, a number of small businesses are taking advantage of driving smaller vans with car-like qualities and greener credentials, to help reduce fuel and tax costs.
White is still the predominant colour of choice when it comes to buying a van, and with sales reported by the Society of Motor Manufacturers at a healthy 100,316 units for white LCVs in the first half of 2017, its clear Britain's roads are no longer dominated by grubby looking dilapidated vans.
Furthermore, there has been a rise in the sales of silver vans in recent years, with business owners becoming more attracted to vans that offer a dual-purpose. Many drivers are now seeking a working utility van during the week, which has the ability to transform into a fully functional family car at the weekend.
Vans such as the Volkswagon Transporter have become a popular choice for business owners, offering all of the practicality of a working van while doubling up as a luxury vehicle that sits well on the drive and becomes the perfect people carrier at weekends.
Commercial fleets have also taken on a new persona. Vans are well presented, with colour wraps advertising their business, and many sport a luxury interior to include mod cons such as the latest infotainment systems, alloy wheels, leather seats and much more. Furthermore, van drivers with wraps on their vehicles now have a responsibility to the reputation of their business, so any unseemly behaviour could reflect badly on their carefully built up reputation.
An increasing number of the UK's commercial vans are now leased, meaning drivers have an even greater incentive to keep their vans pristine, to ensure that when it's time to trade their van in for a new one, they can maximise on spending potential.
LCVs are swiftly becoming the vehicle of choice for a vast array of small and medium business enterprises. Figures from the Department of Transport (DoT) back up these changes, with reports finding that during the last four years, LCV traffic has increased by 4.1pc on average per annum – the most of all traffic types over the period.
The idea of a "white van man" culture has long been left behind. In its place has immersed the business entrepreneur, keen to expand his or her business and present their trade in the smartest way possible.
If you've enjoyed this article please help us share it with the rest of the world - Thank you
- Our First Business Award
- Win a VIP Family Day out to Lightwater Valley
- New Manager for Leeds Depot
- New Opening Times
- Special Deals throughout Summer
- New Curtain Side Luton Vehicles On Fleet this week
- We Launch our New Company Film
- ISO 9001:2015 The Revised Quality Management Systems Standard
- Change in Car Tax is imminent
- Helping Harrogate Bloom
- Mowbray School Outing
- Winner of the VIP Family Day to Lightwater Valley
- Eclipse Energy Efficiency
- Brian walks the length of the country in record time
- 64 Year Old Brian’s EpicWalk
- Proud Sponsors of the Huddersfield Giant
- Bus Gates now operating in Huddersfield
- Arrow Talks to Students at School Careers Fair
- Huddersfield Giants Kit Promotional Video
- Try one of our NEW Petrol Hybrids
- Dealing with Road Rage
- White Rose Awards
- Testing Your Eyes Can Save Your Life
- Driving in Fog
- Driver Fatigue: The Facts
- Harriers Play Host
- Flat Cap Friday Success
- Tax Discs to be Phased Out
- Sheffield Branch Opening Soon
- Aquaforce Charity Football Match
- Winner of the Yorkshire Show Business Card Draw
- New Custom Made Recovery Trucks
- Hull Depot wins Best Vehicle Hire 2017
- Examiner Business Awards 2017
- Saint Michael's Hospice Thanks Knaresborough
- Welcome to our first ever female mechanic
- 1988 - 2018
- Increase in Congestion Charge PCN
- What Brexit Could Mean for Fleet Managers
- Meet our MD James Hill
- What can we expect from electric vehicles in the future?
- Celebrating our Women
- Winners of the Family Business of the Year for the Yorkshire and Humber at the FSB Awards 2018
- A Paperless Future
- The rise of the new van owner
- The New Diesel Tax Changes Explained
- #SuperEorl Competition: Which Cartoon Character or Super Hero does Big Eorl most resemble and why?
- Drivers' worst habits according to van owners
- Family Ties Traced to 1938 between Arrow Self Drive and Crowther & Shaw
- Support for Leeds Beckett Charity Ride
- What is AdBlue?
- Business Of the Year
- The Great Yorkshire Show Birthday Celebrations
- Shortlisted for the Great British Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- Wakefield Depot raise funds for Wakefield Hospice
- Arrow Self Drive Becomes 100% Family owned
- A Visit to Sheffield Children's Hospital
- My Passion: By our MD James Hill
- At Your Service!
- Arrow Self Drive Continual Training & Staff Development
- The New London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ): 2 months to go
- Leeds Clean Air Zone: 11 months to go
- AdBlue: A guide for fleet managers
- Competition winners enjoy Day as A Super League player with the Giants
- CSR and Sales
- Our New Paperless Rental System: Saving one Tree at a Time
- Reducing our Carbon Footprint
- How Well Does Your Fleet reflect Your Brand?
- Eaton Smith: Business of the year: Looking Back
- Moving to Uni? How safe is your precious cargo?
- PROMOTING PENSIONERS AT WORK
- Dragon Boat Teams Raise £3k for Childrens Hospice
- An Elf of a Surprise for 8-year old Lola
- Drug Driving and the Threat to your Business
- Keeping you on the road 24/7: Breakdown and Recovery
- Start as you mean to go on! Awards shortlist news heralds a New year
- Keeping you on the road 24/7: Mobile service units at your convenience
- Tyler Scoops Top Apprentice Award at Kirklees College
- Sheffield New Site Move
- Theft of Catalytic Converters on the Increase
- COVID-19 Internal procedures to help keep us all safe
- COVID-19: Update on our status
- Barnsley Depot Update
- Bradford Depot Update
- Hull Depot Update
- Knaresborough Depot Update
- Covid 19 Update - Face Coverings
- We Are Open - Government Announcement 31st October